This website uses cookies to function correctly.
You may delete cookies at any time but doing so may result in some parts of the site not working correctly.

For many common medical conditions you do not need to wait to see your GP.

Your local pharmacy may be able to help with the following medical conditions:

mild skin conditions
impetigo (aged over 2)
athlete's foot
coughs and colds
sore throats
minor burns and scalds
piles (haemorrhoids)
hay fever, dry eyes and allergies (including rashes, bites and stings)
aches and pains
back pain
period pain
cystitis / urine infections (females under 65 only)
head lice (nits)
cold sores
mouth ulcers
warts and verrucas
nappy rash
abdominal pain

The following people are entitled to access FREE medication for common minor medical conditions via your local pharmacy NHS Minor Ailments Scheme:

  • under 16 years of age or under 19 years of age and in full-time education;
    aged 60 years or over;
  • have a valid maternity exemption certificate, medical exemption certificate, or war pension exemption certificate;
    get Income Support, Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income-related Employment and Support Allowance, or Pension Credit Guarantee Credit, and their family members
  • persons who receive Universal Credit, subject to certain income thresholds, and their family members
  • persons who receive support because they are asylum-seekers, and their family members; and
    are named on, or are entitled to, an NHS tax credit exemption certificate or a valid HC2 certificate.

If you fall into any of the above categories, please register with your local pharmacy. You can only be registered with one pharmacy to access FREE medicines on the minor ailments scheme.

Click here to find out where your nearest pharmacy is. Find your nearest Pharmacy

For more information please click here on the NHS Minor Ailments Scheme leaflet

If you are not entitled to free medication, you can still access advice from your local pharmacy on these common medical conditions. They can advise on which medication you can buy to help. If they feel that it would be more appropriate for you to seek advice form an alternative healthcare professional e.g. your GP, they will direct you to the appropriate person.